Monday, May 19, 2014

Happy


So yesterday was a big day, from certain angles. Or at least, from the point of view of a certain 4-year-old. There was, after all, a New York Times article on the ongoing popularity of Frozen: Cleo and I read it, and afterwards she jokingly threw her hair back a few times, emulating the girl who likes to emulate, according to the story, Elsa's dramatic gestures. And then there was the realization, based on a story in the Yale Alumni Magazine, that I lived in New Haven at the same time as Robert Lopez, the composer behind the Frozen soundtrack. Can it get any better, really? No, not according to Cleo, who announced (as we lounged in a sunny playground), "Today is the greatest day of my life."

"I'm so happy to hear that," I responded, quite honestly. And then she, following up: "I always say that because every day is a great day."

Really? So it's not the realization that your dad might have played a game of pickup hoops with the man who scored your favorite movie? No. But that's okay: I'd be every bit as happy to know that it was simply the sun, or the game of monster chase, or the tent in the senior thesis show, that made you smile. The reason, in short, doesn't matter, given the sentiment. And here's hoping that you keep saying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment