Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Transportation

As Cleo and I were driving to the Tot Lot for some autumnal playground time today, I turned on the radio, and heard a few minutes of an interview on David Dye's World Cafe with the Indiana-based band Murder by Death. A comment by the singer, Adam Turla, stuck with me: "If there's a cool, sort of, technique you can steal for just a moment of a song - a hint or a suggestion - it can really transport a listener to an exotic place," said Turla. "And that's very much what I like to do..."

Not five minutes later we pulled up to the long green mall, and Cleo and I wandered over to the bright slides, the solemn swings, full of promise, and the generous sandbox.

I've never been, in any meaningful sense, a musician. But transporting a 16-month-old to exotic playgrounds scattered across the city... That's very much what I like to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment