Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Who is?


Who is,' the busy website asks, 'William Onyeabor?' Well, here at halfstep we've done our due diligence - a visit to Wikipedia, folks, and then some! - and we can confidently report that Onyeabor has, over the years, been:

1. A pioneering figure in the history of electronic music, due to his lengthy synthesized compositions, the best known of which were written in Nigeria in the 1970s

2. A crowned high priest in Enugu, and currently the owner of a flour mill

3. A born-again Christian, who refused, for years, to speak of the music he had made earlier in his life

But, more simply still, Onyeabor is the man behind 'Body and Soul,' which is percolating in the air about me as I remember a further set of introductions, made in the car yesterday, after we dropped L. off at work. A little sheepish about my draconian manner in pushing the family out the door, so that I could get to work and do some reading, I began to sing to Cleo, in a self-important bass voice: 'Who am I? I am Dad. I'm the man who make you go, I say c'mon, let's go, let's go.' I waited for a moment, to see what Cleo would do. Would she recognize this as an attempt at conciliatory humor, or see it as just another bossy moment in a bossy morning? And then I heard her little voice, in reply, describing a wavering melody:

'I'm Cleo, and I'm a silly bean, so you will have to cook me!'

And with that, I had an inkling that it was going to be a decent day, timely arrival or not, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment